View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
How long does it take to become a great guitar player? 

How long does it take to be a good guitar player?
Depends on if you've got it or not 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
A lifetime 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Ten to twenty years 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Five years hard work 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
A couple of years 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A couple months 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

How long does it take to become a great guitar player? 
I can play alright I just don't feel like I'm anything to brag about.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm
It takes a lifetime, there is always something you can get better at. Depends on your idea of great to, most not-so-great metal players are much better, technically, than a punk guitarist. But if you like punk and that is your standard for greatness than a year is all you really need. But I personally believe people should learn all types of music available to them, so being great would take a lifetime in my opinion.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:10 am
There is no definite answer. Firstly, do you mean ''good'' or ''great''?? Because the thread title and the poll question differ at this. Secondly, what does ''good'' mean?? This is a very subjective thing, you know.

I've noticed that many Jonas Brothers fans consider their guitarist not good, not great, but awesome. So to these folks awesome means being able to play a few power chords and a bit more. Good then probably means being able to hold a pick and strum the open strings.

A really juvenile Metallica fan has slightly higher standards to call Kirk Hammett a guitar god. Every other guitarist that plays metal seems to be good and anyone not playing metal sucks and is a gay faggot. I've met such people, trust me.

A more mature rock fan would say someone like Jimmy Page or Slash is great. It's getting better. A jazz fan would have much higher standards and a stubborn classical guitarist wouldn't accept any effort but classical.

As far as I'm concerned, I try to refrain from phrases like ''great guitarist'', I rather say a great jazz or rock or blues guitarist. No one here would doubt that B. B. King is great, but no one would also doubt that B. would never be able to play flamenco or improvise over a series of altered chord changes. But B. plays blues and he is one of the best blues players that ever walked the earth, he needn't play flamenco or bebop. The same can be applied to anyone else.

That's why I voted for ''a few months''. You truly can become a great ... guitarist in a few months, be it punk or britpop or indie or grunge whatever of that kind.

I also agree with BrokenFighter that you can play for 70 years and still there'd be a place to improve. But also keep in mind that neither good or great means that you've learnt everything that can be learnt.

Cheers! :)

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm
If you want to became a great player ...they have books and video tutorials available online for you free. below is a link of great information....hope it will help
http://www.thedogideas.com/guitar.html

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm
Takes a lifetime to become truly good. But personally I'm not trying to be the next Hendrix. I suppose I'll be where I want to be within the next 5-10 years. But I'll always love to learn and develop my skills.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 pm
BrokenFighter wrote:
It takes a lifetime, there is always something you can get better at. Depends on your idea of great to, most not-so-great metal players are much better, technically, than a punk guitarist. But if you like punk and that is your standard for greatness than a year is all you really need. But I personally believe people should learn all types of music available to them, so being great would take a lifetime in my opinion.

^ I agree. If you have played the guitar for 10-20 years and you thought that you are the best, well you might be wrong cause someone else in the world may know something you don't. All I could advice is that never EVER get tired of learning new stuff and songs with your guitar. Continue to love and play guitar for the rest of your life.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 am
It's up to how you practice. You should make schedule for you practicing such as today you will practice chord tomorrow what you will practice next and also how much time you spend.
For the beginner player and become moderate if they practice hard and focus on each technique one by one.
there is always hope, find your motivation artist and keep practice. By this you can become great guitar player easier.

for me, shredding speed is not good as shredding clear.

Happy Playing.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]